Tag: 上海妹子品茶微信群

Death penalty is ruled out for elderly in murder case

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The decision means that Helen Louise Golay, 76, and Olga Rutterschmidt, 74, could each face a maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted of first-degree murder in the deaths of Kenneth McDavid and Paul Vados. McDavid, 50, was run over in an alley in the 1200 block of Westwood Boulevard in Westwood on June 21, 2005, while Vados, 73, was run over in an alley in the 300 block of North La Brea Avenue in Hollywood on Nov. 8, 1999. The women, who are jailed without bail, are charged with two counts each of murder and conspiracy to commit murder. Golay and Rutterschmidt also face special circumstance allegations of murder for financial gain and multiple murders. At a hearing in March, a state investigator testified that Golay was paid more than $1.8 million in connection with insurance policies the defendants took out on the two men, and that Rutterschmidt received more than $922,000. The women, who had earlier waived their presence for routine court proceedings, did not appear in court for Wednesday’s hearing. Golay’s attorney, Roger Jon Diamond, told Los Angeles Superior Court Judge David S. Wesley that his client needs thermal underwear. “Every time I see her, that’s all she talks about,” Diamond told the judge, noting that in jail she is “so uncomfortable she can’t sleep.” Wesley said Golay will need to see a doctor and get a doctor’s order in order to get thermal underwear. Attorneys are due back in court Nov. 29 for a pretrial hearing, with the trial tentatively scheduled to begin Jan. 17. Deputy District Attorney Shellie Samuels said she expects the case to take about three weeks.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! COURTS: Women are accused of killing men to collect life insurance. By Terri Vermeulen Keith CITY NEWS SERVICE The prosecution announced Wednesday it will not seek the death penalty against two women accused of killing two homeless men they befriended in order to collect more than $2.8 million from life insurance policies. last_img read more

A month to save Chelsea’s season

first_imgHas Sarri found the winning formula?As a Chelsea fan, the last few years seem to have been peppered with months that would determine either the club’s season, a manager’s future or more often than not – both. March 2019 is yet another one. In a season that started off so promising, with talk of a new Sarri era that would rival or even eclipse the best of Jose and Conte, it veered off into one that would possibly be worse than the darkest months under those two. Surprisingly though there are signs (small but unmistakably there) that the Italian can turn it around. The next 4 weeks or so, will prove if they are a false dawn or actually something to build upon.Euro MillionsThe eyes of the rest of the footballing world are very much on events in the Champions league, in particular the triple England Germany head-to-head. A competition of course, that Man City are favourites to win. That shows the distance Chelsea have fallen in such a short time. Nevertheless, Chelsea now find themselves in the same position in the continent’s second cup competition. With a Champions League place courtesy of the league looking a tougher proposition than it did not that long ago, the Europa is probably Chelsea’s best path to the Champions League riches. Whether they will be able to spend those riches is of course up in the air at the moment with the transfer ban looming.Their opponents in the last 16 are Dynamo Kiev, a tie where the travel probably presents the trickiest aspect of the two legs. The Ukraine side will be no pushovers, having topped the group that also included Arsenal’s opponents Rennes, but in a draw where there was no seeding, it could have been a lot worse. The Stamford Bridge tie is on the 7th March, the reverse a week later. Should those go the way of expectations, it will be early April before Chelsea venture into Europe again. By which time, the EPL picture will be clearer.Push for FourthHiguain – time to shineDespite the wheels appearing to have fallen off Chelsea’s bid for the top four and the unlikely resurrection at Manchester United, it is still very much within Chelsea’s grasp. The remaining games fall neatly into two categories. Those that they really should be winning, and those that, judging by all evidence, they probably won’t. In order to claim that last remaining Champions League spot, they have to ensure there are no slip ups and they do take all three points from those games that reside in the first of those groups. That includes every league game in March.The recent  turnaround, evident in the contrasting Manchester City games, needs to be built upon, and with these fixtures, anything less than 13 points would make the task a whole lot trickier, and could see Sarri going to Old Trafford at the end of April needing a win.• Fulham away•  Wolves home•  Everton away•  Cardiff away•  West Ham homeWith that visit to Manchester in April, along with one to Anfield earlier that month, it needs to be a case of making hay, even if the sun is only just threatening to shine.The fact we are talking about still finishing in the top four, along with a possible European trophy, does put into perspective some of the negative talk in, around and aimed at Stamford Bridge. The rumoured loss of the changing room appears to have been overstated, and Sarri was quick to try and quash any further disharmony in the backlash from the Kepa incident at Wembley. However, it is worrying that having seeming to have found his Premiership legs remarkably easily, something did go wrong. Add to that that if recent history is to be repeated – and I am not saying that that in itself is a good thing – but if it is to be repeated, then new managers at the Bridge tend to do their best work early on. Maybe Sarri is repeating history after all, and is merely doing it on a lot quicker time scale than his predecessors.At the moment, there are a lot of things in the air. There are too many questions still to be resolved. Come the end of March, the majority of those will have been answered, one way or the other. For Sarri and every Chelsea fan, we can only hope that they are answered in such a way that means we enter April and then May on the brink of yet another defining month.last_img read more

CattleWomen’s Corner: Jalapeno cheeseburgers recipe offered

first_img1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese4 thin tomato slices4 hamburger buns, split, toasted1. In medium bowl, combine ground beef, jalapeno pepper and Mexican seasoning, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1 / 2” thick patties.2. Place patties on grid over medium ash-covered coals. Grill uncovered … This recipe for jalapeno cheeseburgers is from Beefitswhatsfordinner.com.1 pound lean ground beef2 teaspoon seeded, chopped jalapeno pepper1 1/4 teaspoon Mexican seasoninglast_img

Telkom mobile to launch soon

first_imgTelkom will launch its mobile service inSouth Africa. Telkom’s mobile network will also offerinternet connection services.(Images: Bongani Nkosi)MEDIA CONTACTS• Pynee ChettySpokespersonTelkom+27 12 311 5247RELATED ARTICLES• Cheaper phone rates for SA• MTN launches R8.1bn shares scheme• Telkom teams up with AT&T• Talk 11 languages on your phoneBongani NkosiA new mobile service network, owned and operated by South African telecommunications giant Telkom, is well on its way to becoming a reality in the country.Telkom had planned to introduce the new mobile service before the end of 2010, but its spokesperson Pynee Chetty could not give an exact date. Initial expectations were that it would launch on 14 October.Outgoing CEO Reuben September confirmed to the media in June that plans for the new venture were already advanced and said they would introduce it within the 2010 calendar year.Telkom has invested R6-billion (US$857-million) in the venture, which will be used as capital expenditure over the next five years.As part of preparations for introducing the network, Telkom signed a national roaming agreement with its prospective competition, MTN, in April, enabling it to use MTN’s infrastructure to launch its services.Applauding the agreement, MD of MTN Karel Pienaar said it demonstrated the two companies’ continued commitment to provide mobile phone connectivity for all South Africans.Telkom negotiated a similar agreement with Vodacom, another South African mobile service provider. The agreements will allow Telkom to introduce services such voice, text and multimedia messages, 2G and 3G data nationally when it launches.Telkom will roll out its own mobile base stations once its service is operational.Online publication Tech Central reported on 2 October that Telkom has already named its new service Heita, which is township slang for “How are you?”, but Chetty could not confirm this.Dispute likely to delay mattersThe launch of the new network is likely to be delayed by a dispute between Telkom and MTN, which is being handled by the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa’s (Icasa) complaints and compliance committee.Icasa spokesperson Paseka Maleka confirmed that the dispute relates to pricing of interconnection fees. There are three interconnection complaints laid by Telkom, Maleka said. “The major one is a complaint from Telkom that MTN is unwilling to agree that the wholesale rate for the termination on Telkom’s network of calls, which originate on MTN’s network, should be 93 cents, [excluding value-added tax].”Telkom wants the rate to be fixed at 89 cents. MTN is arguing that it would be financially disadvantaged if it were to terminate calls on its network originating from Telkom at that rate. “According to MTN, this would give rise to the disparity of four cents between the amount received and the amount paid,” added Maleka.The committee held hearings on 2 October and “will make its findings known within 90 days”.Declining fixed-line revenueTelkom, traditionally a fixed-line operator, sees the new venture as a way to increase its cash flow, which was constrained in the previous financial year.It said it has learnt that traditional fixed-line voice revenues are declining in various countries, and groups have realised that “a successful operation requires an integrated mobile business”.The company faces “intensifying competition” from existing mobile services. The fixed-to-mobile replacement trend accounted for 9.3% drop in Telkom South Africa’s traffic revenue in 2009/10, it said.“This continuing trend justifies the need to enter the mobile market, particularly the mobile data market,” said September when delivering Telkom’s financial year-end results in June.The development of a mobile service is a strategy of winning back traffic on to the Telkom network, according to the company.It believes there are “tremendous market opportunities” in South Africa for its network, as “mobile voice and, especially, mobile data are still experiencing growth”.But industry analysts are not predicting an easy ride for Telkom, as it would face stiff competition from the three established local service providers Vodacom, MTN and Cell C. Telkom recently netted R40.5-billion ($5.8-billion) from the sale of its stake in Vodacom.Independent telecommunications analyst Richard Hurst argued in iWeek on 22 September, a business technology magazine, that the service would be disadvantaged due to the timing of its launch, pointing out that Cell C, which came on stream after Vodacom and MTN, has battled to penetrate the market.last_img read more

Health Minister Urges Responsible Sexual Practices

first_img He said results from an HIV/AIDS Knowledge, Attitudes and Behaviour Survey conducted for 2004, 2008 and 2012 indicate that the factors driving the epidemic have not changed over time, with continuing insufficient condom use and high levels of multiple sex partners among the general population. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health, through the National HIV/STI Programme, is reporting some successes, including an increase in the reporting of HIV cases and voluntary counselling and testing for the disease at antenatal clinics. Health Minister, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, is calling for Jamaicans to practise responsible sexual behaviour in order to prevent new human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections. Story Highlights Health Minister, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, is calling for Jamaicans to practise responsible sexual behaviour in order to prevent new human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infections.He said results from an HIV/AIDS Knowledge, Attitudes and Behaviour Survey conducted for 2004, 2008 and 2012 indicate that the factors driving the epidemic have not changed over time, with continuing insufficient condom use and high levels of multiple sex partners among the general population.Dr. Tufton, who was speaking at the media launch of World AIDS Day 2017 on Thursday (November 16) at the Courtleigh Hotel in New Kingston, said adolescent deaths resulting from HIV infection continue to rise despite declines among other age groups.This, he attributed to developmental, psychological and social factors, which place this group at increased risk of contracting the virus.“As a society, we must do more to stop new HIV infections and untimely HIV-related deaths through both primary and secondary prevention and better management approaches,” he said.Director of Health Promotion and Prevention at the National Family Planning Board (NFPB), Andrea Campbell, informed that there were 1,222 new HIV diagnoses in 2015.She said studies show that the population is aware of the methods of HIV prevention. However, there seems to be a resistance by persons to change their risky sexual behaviour.Among the safe practices that persons should adopt to safeguard against contracting the virus are reducing the number of sexual partners, using a condom consistently and correctly, and abstinence.For those already infected, they are advised to adhere to medication, which will lead to viral oppression.Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health, through the National HIV/STI Programme, is reporting some successes, including an increase in the reporting of HIV cases and voluntary counselling and testing for the disease at antenatal clinics.Additionally, a 2014 survey indicates a continued decline in the prevalence among female sex workers. The overall prevalence was 2.9 per cent, a reduction from 4.1 per cent in 2011.Currently, Jamaica has an estimated 29,000 persons living with HIV or 1.6 per cent of adult population. Of this number, 85 per cent have been diagnosed.This year, World AIDS Day will be observed on December 1 under the theme ‘We Have the Right to Health: Keep the Promise, Don’t Turn Your Back on Me’.Activities will target adolescents and youth, who are at an increased risk for contracting HIV, and include a media campaign as well as song and visual arts competitions.Persons are being invited to participate in a march from Mandela Park to Emancipation Park in New Kingston, where there will be a health and wellness expo. The winners of the song and visual arts competitions will be announced at the event.The National HIV/STI Programme is mandated to coordinate and lead the implementation of the national HIV/STI response.last_img read more

Three incidents of fire in city none injured

first_imgKolkata: Fire broke out at three places in the city on Saturday and Sunday. None was, however, hurt in these fire incidents.According to police, on Saturday night around 11:45 pm, fire broke out inside a meter box near the emergency ward of Bangur Institute of Neurology.As the impression of recent fire incident at Calcutta Medical College is still on the minds of people, the patients got panic-stricken.The relatives of the patients were waiting eagerly thinking if there keens needed to be shifted elsewhere. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeBut nothing such happened as one fire tender quickly reached the spot and doused the flames within 15 minutes. It is assumed that the fire occurred due to some electrical disorder.Another fire incident occurred on the top floor of a six-storied building on Park Street. At around 11:30 pm on Saturday, a fire broke out at the office of a herbal product company. The fire spread to the whole office immediately.Four fire tenders were pressed in to action. While firefighters were trying to put off the fire, a portion of the building was evacuated for safety reasons. The owner of the building was also informed. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedAfter almost two hours at around 1:25 am, the fire was controlled. In this case as well, the fire brigade personnel assumed the fire might have occurred due to an electrical disorder.In another incident early on Sunday morning, a moving light goods vehicle caught fire on Belvedere Road near Alipore zoo.At around 5:05 am, the driver of the vehicle felt the heat while driving. Almost immediately he noticed smoke billowing out of the frontal part of the vehicle.He stopped the vehicle and got down without losing a second. After getting off from the vehicle, he informed the police and fire brigade.One fire tender doused the fire within half an hour. The damage and cause of fire is yet to be ascertained.last_img read more

Scriptural Musical Discourse held at the Capital

first_imgVishwanath family mesmerized the music lovers with the scintillating ‘Scriptural Musical Discourse’ at Muktodhara, Delhi recently. The event organised by Pracheen Kala Kendra had Jugalbandi sessions held among the family members of the Vishwanath family, which comprise of some acclaimed and eminent artists. The strings of Lalitha Veena, drums, keyboard and melodic vocal recital, all together created ripples of music waves which stunned the listeners at the auditorium. Also Read – Add new books to your shelf Vishwanath Family Band, “Ramayani”, consist of eminent artists like Acharaya L.R. Vishwanath, a scriptural musical exponent and Bhanumathy Vishwanath, a cultural scholar from the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. Apart from them, eminent vocalist on the musical exposition, Akshyaa and Amrutaa Vibho – twin daughters of Bhanumathy Vishwanath couple and graduates of the Trinity College (London) – complete the band. The siblings are trained to play keyboard and drums respectively, by Casio Brand Ambassador Ranjit Ahuja. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveThe Vishwanath family band presents the discourse on the Ramayana and Devi Mahatmiyam/ Durga Saptashati/Chandi Mahatmiyam in English, Hindi, Tamil and spoken Malayalam and Bengali across the Globe.The programme based on ‘Sundar Kaand’, was a tribute to “Surya” – Sun God – and coincided with Chatt puja. The puja is performed as oblations to the Sun God mainly in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh but is known all across the country. Lord Ram belongs to the lineage of the Sun God; Suryavansh or Raghuvansh. Every deity adores the Sun God and holds this King of the Celestial Galaxy in the highest reverence. Saambh, Son of Lord Krishna, is credited for having built a dozen Sun temples to get cured of Leprosy. Vishwanath family was in tremendous form and enthralled the audience with their sheer virtuosity, deft handling of the raga, taans, and tihais. The vocal and instrumental techniques, the traditional purity, modern drum techniques etc. were on full display throughout their performance. Towards the end of the event, an interesting sawaal-jawaab session thrilled the audience to the fullest.last_img read more

Recent Comments